There’s a wildfire on your property, or heading straight for your property.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
Here are some guidelines:
Phone the Fire & Rescue Services. Overberg: 028 425 1690. Overstrand: 028 312 2400
Phone your neighbours
Phone your Fire Management Unit leadership
Phone the goFPA: 063 690 7899
Assess the situation closely – what level of support do you think you need?
Protect lives and ensure everyone is safe
Protect assets, infrastructure and where relevant the environment as far as possible
Hand over to the Chief Fire Officer or his/her delegate when they arrive
At the fire: Take note of the following:
The aim is to put the fire out together – this is a team effort, and fighting wildfires is everyone’s fight.
If you’re in the Overberg area (excluding the Overstrand)
- As a goFPA member, access to the Overberg’s fire suppression team to control a newly-started wildfire is free of charge.
If you’re in the Overstrand area:
- There is a fixed cost per hour for fire-suppression teams on the ground.
But please note: the Chief Fire Officer or his/her delegate will approve air support. Air support may not be available or appropriate.
Once the fire is out: It’s your job as the landowner to ensure it remains out.
If it starts again, wildfire-suppression will be for your own cost.
- You should patrol smoldering material within 5m of the perimeter of the extinguished fire.
- If you need the Overberg District Municipality fire-suppression team to monitor the extinguished fire, the costs will be for your own account.
- If you can, attend debrief sessions with the Fire Protection Officer.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Help us to prevent wildfires. Make a donation, and watch how your money helps to prevent and suppress wildfires in the Overberg.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayPal system.