Fire is everybody’s fight. Help us prevent and control wildfires.
The aims of the goFPA are to:
- Ensure that all members comply with the legal requirements of the National Veld and Forest Fire Act.
- Encourage integrated fire management for private landowners and public entities.
- Prevent and control wildfires.
- Manage wildfires in natural areas in order to maintain diversity of species and ecosystems.
- Manage wildfire hazards so as to minimise the risk and any adverse consequences.
We provide an integrated community fire management service to members of the Association.
- Develop and implement a Veldfire Management Strategy for the area;
- Assist members to meet their responsibilities according to the Act, our constitution and our rules;
- Improve the knowledge base to help land users implement integrated fire management strategies;
- Improve awareness on integrated fire management and prevention and empower local communities to become more aware of the risks of fire;
- Reduce fire risk associated with the occurrence of wildfires by devising integrated fire management plans;
- Assist members with managing any incidents of wildfire as appropriate;
- Represent landowners at local and provincial forums for veldfire management and report back to landowners on decisions that may impact them.
WHAT’S HAPPENING IN OUR WORLD
Andy is the Fire Management Unit leader for a section of the Elgin Valley. And they’ve had a busy fire season – having to fight four fires over the Christmas weekend alone. But no matter the day or time, Andy is usually first on the scene of a wildfire, and last to leave.
For Richard Middelmann, there’s a certain satisfaction he feels when a wildfire is finally extinguished. That may be because he learned at an early age of the dangers of fire – and its impact on livelihoods. Today, Richard has …
It took just one thunderstorm to start five separate fires in a matter of minutes in the dry Sutherland landscape in the Northern Cape. One Greater Overberg FPA member witnessed the devastation, and the lack of fire-fighting …
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Help us to prevent wildfires. Make a donation, and watch how your money helps to prevent and suppress wildfires in the Overberg.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayPal system.