Fire is everybody’s fight. Help us prevent and control wildfires.
FIRE MANAGEMENT UNITS
What are Fire Management Units, or FMUs?
Fire Management Units are small groups of members in a localised area in which Integrated Fire Management efforts between individual landowners can be most effectively coordinated.
These meetings are arranged together with the FMU leadership and are facilitated by the goFPA. Annual meetings of members of an FMU should be arranged to put pre-fire season plans in place.
Typical items to discuss are:
Integrated Fire Management Planning:
- High risk area discussion, planning & mapping.
- List all the relevant phone numbers of all the land owners/managers in the FMU and their firefighting equipment.
- Draw up a map of available water filling points and access points.
- Discuss communal and strategic fire breaks, and encourage all to cooperate in the preparation of fire breaks.
- The latest insurance requirements for public liability claims.
- Swop keys to gates that will allow access to neighbours (if required).
- Understand how to maximize/optimize the use of the goFPA and the fire department.
- Look into the efficiency and cost of air support insurance.
- Implement a fast reaction plan to try and put fires out as early as possible.
- Discuss possible “back burning” strategies and positions in the case of a bad runaway fire.
WHAT’S HAPPENING IN OUR WORLD
Fire investigation help is now available to members of the Greater Overberg Fire Protection Association (#goFPA). A team of investigators can help landowners to determine how a veldfire started by collecting factual data on the causes of wildfires/veldfires in the Overberg.
The Overberg (Overberg District Municipality and Overstrand Local Municipality) is preparing for a challenging fire season. Due to the dry conditions across many parts of the region, fire-fighting teams are on high alert. The fire season officially started in November.
The Overberg region has been hard hit by three major fires in the past week. Two are still burning, with teams still fighting to suppress both fires. The fire on the Denel Overberg Test Range started on Friday 24 February. The fire was ignited following standard missile testing …
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Help us to prevent wildfires. Make a donation, and watch how your money helps to prevent and suppress wildfires in the Overberg.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayPal system.