SUPPORT the #firefighters battling the Overberg Fires
FIRE MANAGEMENT UNITS
What are Fire Management Units, or FMUs?
Fire Management Units are small groups of members in a localised area in which Integrated Fire Management efforts between individual landowners can be most effectively coordinated.
These meetings are arranged together with the FMU leadership and are facilitated by the goFPA. Annual meetings of members of an FMU should be arranged to put pre-fire season plans in place.
Typical items to discuss are:
Integrated Fire Management Planning:
- High risk area discussion, planning & mapping.
- List all the relevant phone numbers of all the land owners/managers in the FMU and their firefighting equipment.
- Draw up a map of available water filling points and access points.
- Discuss communal and strategic fire breaks, and encourage all to cooperate in the preparation of fire breaks.
- The latest insurance requirements for public liability claims.
- Swop keys to gates that will allow access to neighbours (if required).
- Understand how to maximize/optimize the use of the goFPA and the fire department.
- Look into the efficiency and cost of air support insurance.
- Implement a fast reaction plan to try and put fires out as early as possible.
- Discuss possible “back burning” strategies and positions in the case of a bad runaway fire.
WHAT’S HAPPENING IN OUR WORLD
During a high-stress situation, such as a wildfire closing in on your home, panicked pets rarely do what you want them to do. That’s why you should prepare for this eventuality BEFORE it becomes a reality. Bredasdorp Animal Hospital’s Dr Hensie Lategan
What can you do to make your home as safe as possible against a potential wildfire? Home owners have learnt valuable lessons from the 2017 Knysna fires. And these lessons are now guiding fire management in South Africa. As a home owner
This is surely one of the most difficult and stressful events in a person’s life: It’s time to evacuate your home, as a wildfire moves closer. This is a time of great stress – and mistakes can be made as a result. According to the Overstrand Municipality’s Fire Chief, Lester Smith, in an event like this
SUPPORT #FIREFIGHTERS BATTLING
THE OVERBERG FIRES.
All funds raised will SUPPORT fire-fighters battling the overwhelming Overberg fires. ALL monies raised will be: – used for making the fire lines more bearable, including; – cellphone airtime to talk to their families at home; – foodstuff like ice to keep their drinks cold, that warm meal to supplement their ration packs, and any other essentials. goFPA is a registered PBO.
You can get involved by providing goods to energise our fire-fighters. Here’s a list of non-perishable items you can drop off – that help sustain our fire-fighters working hard to protect our homes and nature
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
reduction | readiness | response | recovery