Fire is everybody’s fight. Help us prevent and control wildfires.
WHAT WE DO
As the goFPA, we’re here to help you, as a landowner, to be ready and prepared for fire season.
During fire season, it’s our job to help you should you experience a wildfire.
HOW DO WE HELP?
Integrated Fire Management Planning
- We help you to become legally compliant, as per national regulations
- We identify high risk areas and help with risk reduction
- We support Fire Management Plans
- We facilitate fire break planning for communal areas and strategic fire breaks
- We offer advice on compliance with the law (National Veld and Forest Fire Act)
- We help map members
- We offer advice on Integrated Fire Management (including fire breaks, fuel reduction, equipment needed, etc.)
- We organise training courses (including courses on Basic Fire Suppression, Controlled Burning, Infield Simulation and more)
- We provide a daily Fire Danger Index forecast during the fire season
- We watch the Advanced Fire Information System (AFIS), which provides early fire detection warning.
- We support awareness: Media, Social Media and general public
- We facilitate Fire Management Unit preparedness
- We support stakeholder engagement (including with the Fire Brigade, Eskom, Farmers’ Associations, Working on Fire, Municipalities, MTO Forestry, Transnet, CapeNature, SANParks, FynbosFire, NGOs, national government departments, donors, conservancies, landscape initiatives like the Agulhas Biodiversity Initiative, and more.)
And then, when it’s burning
We provide coordination, resource procurement and critical information to decision makers to ensure effective and efficient fire fighting efforts.
The goFPA does not
- Provide a firefighting service;
- Fulfil the role of the fire brigade services;
- Receive any income from the collection of rates levied by municipalities. Neither do we pay over any funds towards municipalities;
- Get involved in structural firefighting or related issues;
- Enforce membership to the organisation. Membership is voluntary other than for state organisations that own land or manage land, for which membership is compulsory.
WHAT’S HAPPENING IN OUR WORLD
What can you do to make your home as safe as possible against a potential wildfire? Home owners have learnt valuable lessons from the 2017 Knysna fires. And these lessons are now guiding fire management in South Africa. As a home owner
This is surely one of the most difficult and stressful events in a person’s life: It’s time to evacuate your home, as a wildfire moves closer. This is a time of great stress – and mistakes can be made as a result. According to the Overstrand Municipality’s Fire Chief, Lester Smith, in an event like this
The Overberg should prepare for a challenging fire season ahead, according to the Overberg District Municipality’s Executive Mayor, Andries Franken. He was speaking at the official launch of the 2018/19 fire season in Bredasdorp on Wednesday 5 December 2018. The event...
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Help us to prevent wildfires. Make a donation, and watch how your money helps to prevent and suppress wildfires in the Overberg.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayPal system.