SUPPORT the #firefighters battling the Overberg Fires
WHAT WE DO
As the goFPA, we’re here to help you, as a landowner, to be ready and prepared for fire season.
During fire season, it’s our job to help you should you experience a wildfire.
HOW DO WE HELP?
Integrated Fire Management Planning
- We help you to become legally compliant, as per national regulations
- We identify high risk areas and help with risk reduction
- We support Fire Management Plans
- We facilitate fire break planning for communal areas and strategic fire breaks
- We offer advice on compliance with the law (National Veld and Forest Fire Act)
- We help map members
- We offer advice on Integrated Fire Management (including fire breaks, fuel reduction, equipment needed, etc.)
- We organise training courses (including courses on Basic Fire Suppression, Controlled Burning, Infield Simulation and more)
- We provide a daily Fire Danger Index forecast during the fire season
- We watch the Advanced Fire Information System (AFIS), which provides early fire detection warning.
- We support awareness: Media, Social Media and general public
- We facilitate Fire Management Unit preparedness
- We support stakeholder engagement (including with the Fire Brigade, Eskom, Farmers’ Associations, Working on Fire, Municipalities, MTO Forestry, Transnet, CapeNature, SANParks, FynbosFire, NGOs, national government departments, donors, conservancies, landscape initiatives like the Agulhas Biodiversity Initiative, and more.)
And then, when it’s burning
We provide coordination, resource procurement and critical information to decision makers to ensure effective and efficient fire fighting efforts.
The goFPA does not
- Provide a firefighting service;
- Fulfil the role of the fire brigade services;
- Receive any income from the collection of rates levied by municipalities. Neither do we pay over any funds towards municipalities;
- Get involved in structural firefighting or related issues;
- Enforce membership to the organisation. Membership is voluntary other than for state organisations that own land or manage land, for which membership is compulsory.
WHAT’S HAPPENING IN OUR WORLD
Fire investigators have been able to identify alleged fire-starters – both human and other – during the past fire season. The team from Enviro Wildfire Services has investigated most fires in the Overberg between October 2018 and May 2019. Thanks to their information
The goFPA is looking to employ a Project Coordinator, to help support our integrated fire management efforts. The deadline to apply is 26 August. Job description – Position: Project Coordinator. Business function: Integrated Fire Management. Term: Permanent
The 2018/19 fire season has become known as one of the most overwhelming in the history of the Overberg. While more than 30 wildfires burned during the season, 20 of these were very damaging and very costly. Many of these fires also affected more than one...
SUPPORT #FIREFIGHTERS BATTLING
THE OVERBERG FIRES NOW.
All funds raised will SUPPORT fire-fighters battling the overwhelming Overberg fires. ALL monies raised will be: – used for making the fire lines more bearable, including; – cellphone airtime to talk to their families at home; – foodstuff like ice to keep their drinks cold, that warm meal to supplement their ration packs, and any other essentials. goFPA is a registered PBO.
HOW TO HELP OUR FIRE-FIGHTERS:
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
HOW TO HELP OUR FIRE-FIGHTERS:
Donations are made through the secure PayPal system.