SUPPORT the #firefighters battling the Overberg Fires
WHAT WE DO
As the goFPA, we’re here to help you, as a landowner, to be ready and prepared for fire season.
During fire season, it’s our job to help you should you experience a wildfire.
HOW DO WE HELP?
Integrated Fire Management Planning
- We help you to become legally compliant, as per national regulations
- We identify high risk areas and help with risk reduction
- We support Fire Management Plans
- We facilitate fire break planning for communal areas and strategic fire breaks
- We offer advice on compliance with the law (National Veld and Forest Fire Act)
- We help map members
- We offer advice on Integrated Fire Management (including fire breaks, fuel reduction, equipment needed, etc.)
- We organise training courses (including courses on Basic Fire Suppression, Controlled Burning, Infield Simulation and more)
- We provide a daily Fire Danger Index forecast during the fire season
- We watch the Advanced Fire Information System (AFIS), which provides early fire detection warning.
- We support awareness: Media, Social Media and general public
- We facilitate Fire Management Unit preparedness
- We support stakeholder engagement (including with the Fire Brigade, Eskom, Farmers’ Associations, Working on Fire, Municipalities, MTO Forestry, Transnet, CapeNature, SANParks, FynbosFire, NGOs, national government departments, donors, conservancies, landscape initiatives like the Agulhas Biodiversity Initiative, and more.)
And then, when it’s burning
We provide coordination, resource procurement and critical information to decision makers to ensure effective and efficient fire fighting efforts.
The goFPA does not
- Provide a firefighting service;
- Fulfil the role of the fire brigade services;
- Receive any income from the collection of rates levied by municipalities. Neither do we pay over any funds towards municipalities;
- Get involved in structural firefighting or related issues;
- Enforce membership to the organisation. Membership is voluntary other than for state organisations that own land or manage land, for which membership is compulsory.
WHAT’S HAPPENING IN OUR WORLD
As a landowner, do you want to protect your infrastructure and cultivated lands, mitigate veldfire risks and wildfire spread from your property, and protect and restore the environment? Then we can help. Invasive alien clearing can …
Fire season officially starts on 1 December 2021. This is the time when everyone should be hyper vigilant to the dangers of wildfires. According to Louise Wessels, Manager of the Greater Overberg Fire Protection Association (goFPA),
Overberg grain farmers face huge potential economic losses should a wildfire pass through their farm before their grain is harvested. Fires on grainlands burn notoriously quickly and, given the way they burn, they can create several lines that can trap those
SUPPORT #FIREFIGHTERS BATTLING
THE OVERBERG FIRES.
All funds raised will SUPPORT fire-fighters battling the overwhelming Overberg fires. ALL monies raised will be: – used for making the fire lines more bearable, including; – cellphone airtime to talk to their families at home; – foodstuff like ice to keep their drinks cold, that warm meal to supplement their ration packs, and any other essentials. goFPA is a registered PBO.
You can get involved by providing goods to energise our fire-fighters. Here’s a list of non-perishable items you can drop off – that help sustain our fire-fighters working hard to protect our homes and nature
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.