SUPPORT the #firefighters battling the Overberg Fires
FIRE SEASON 2018/2019
We’re ready for a busy 2018/19 fire season. And we know you are too.
Here’s what you should know, now that we’re in the fire season:
In the Overberg:
- 24 operational vehicles are on standby – with most based in Bredasdorp, Caledon, Grabouw and Swellendam.
- Working on Fire teams are on standby; one of the teams is based at Bredasdorp. 2 additional teams from NCC Environmental Services can be brought in if needed, and multiple resources from Enviro Wildfire Services are available.
- 24h Fire Control room number: 028 425 1690
In the Overstrand:
- 13 operational vehicles are on standby
- Working on Fire team on standby is based at Kleinmond.
- The Overberg District Municipality and the Overstrand Municipality assists each other with resources as and when required.
- 24h Fire Control room number: 028 312 2400
A helicopter and spotter plane are based at Bredasdorp from 1 December to end April. The aircraft will be used in the rapid initial attack.
- The Fire Chiefs have a limited budget which they can use at their discretion for initial attack. The high-risk planning which was completed during the winter months will assist in the decision making.
- Landowners are encouraged to speak to their brokers to obtain the necessary insurance cover, in order to cover additional aerial firefighting costs.
Helicopter: R33,019/hour (excl. VAT)
Spotter: R4,526/hour (excl. VAT)
We estimate that one hour of aerial resources and support vehicle will cost: R40,000 – R42,000/hour (incl. VAT)
Aerial support – What you must do:
FILL IN YOUR AERIAL SUPPORT FORMS – this form can be completed in advance.
Ensure your insurance is in place (you may wish to take out ‘fire suppression insurance’ as well as ‘risk of spread insurance’).
You MUST give verbal permission BEFORE we send aerial support.
Mop-up operations – Your responsibility:
Once the fire has been extinguished, landowners are responsible for the mop-up operations on their properties. The first 24-72 hours are crucial to ensure fires don’t flare up again.
Landowner – are you going away?
If you’re a goFPA member, and you’re away during the holidays, please arrange with your neighbour on the course of action to take if threatened by a wildfire.
NOTE: The emphasis is on the first hour. We put all our resources into putting the fire out in the first hour. Thereafter we determine the best strategy, based on the fire’s location and immediate threats.
– Betty’s Bay (residential area)
– Pringle Bay (Blesberg)
– Hermanus: Fernkloof; the route along the R44; mountains behind Hermanus Pietersfontein
– Kleinmond (urban interface)
– Gansbaai: Grootbos to Avoka
– Rooi Els (residential area)
– Napier mountainSwellendam: Marloth
– Agulhas (Tip of Africa)
– Bredasdorp: Soetmuisberg
– De Hoop: Potberg infrastructure
– De Mond: Urban edge
– Franschhoek Pass
– Grabouw/Elgin (several)
Make sure your home has defendable space.
Here’s more on what we mean.
Contact us if you have any questions: Louise & Pieter: 063 690 7899
SUPPORT #FIREFIGHTERS BATTLING
THE OVERBERG FIRES NOW.
All funds raised will SUPPORT fire-fighters battling the overwhelming Overberg fires. ALL monies raised will be: – used for making the fire lines more bearable, including; – cellphone airtime to talk to their families at home; – foodstuff like ice to keep their drinks cold, that warm meal to supplement their ration packs, and any other essentials. goFPA is a registered PBO.
HOW TO HELP OUR FIRE-FIGHTERS:
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
HOW TO HELP OUR FIRE-FIGHTERS:
Donations are made through the secure PayPal system.