Fire is everybody’s fight. Help us prevent and control wildfires.
FIRE MANAGEMENT UNITS
What are Fire Management Units, or FMUs?
Fire Management Units are small groups of members in a localised area in which Integrated Fire Management efforts between individual landowners can be most effectively coordinated.
These meetings are arranged together with the FMU leadership and are facilitated by the goFPA. Annual meetings of members of an FMU should be arranged to put pre-fire season plans in place.
Typical items to discuss are:
Integrated Fire Management Planning:
- High risk area discussion, planning & mapping.
- List all the relevant phone numbers of all the land owners/managers in the FMU and their firefighting equipment.
- Draw up a map of available water filling points and access points.
- Discuss communal and strategic fire breaks, and encourage all to cooperate in the preparation of fire breaks.
- The latest insurance requirements for public liability claims.
- Swop keys to gates that will allow access to neighbours (if required).
- Understand how to maximize/optimize the use of the goFPA and the fire department.
- Look into the efficiency and cost of air support insurance.
- Implement a fast reaction plan to try and put fires out as early as possible.
- Discuss possible “back burning” strategies and positions in the case of a bad runaway fire.
WHAT’S HAPPENING IN OUR WORLD
The 2018/19 fire season in the Western Cape could become one of the worst in living memory. That’s according to Anton Bredell, the MEC of local government, environmental affairs and development planning, at the official launch of the fire season …
The fire season in the Western Cape officially launched on Wednesday 28 November. The launch took place at a Wildfire Ready Convention, held at Lourensford Wine Estate. The Western Cape Umbrella Fire Protection
The 2018 fire season is upon us. So here are all the dates you must take note of – to make sure you’re prepared, and to adhere to the municipality’s fire season requirements. In the Overberg District Municipal area (excluding …
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Help us to prevent wildfires. Make a donation, and watch how your money helps to prevent and suppress wildfires in the Overberg.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayFast system.
HOW TO DONATE:
Donations are made through the secure PayPal system.